Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I know....

you can't believe that I'm posting...again. I don't post regularly for months and now the third one in November, already! It's not that I haven't wanted to post, really, but I already covered that sob story a couple blogs back. So onto the new.

I've had a topic rattling around in my wee little brain for the past couple of weeks as I notice things that I've said, thought, done in reaction to things that my children have said and done.

When we started on this journey called parenthood I wasn't completely ignorant to children and their ways....or so I thought. I'd done A LOT of babysitting through my teen years, even some overnighters....and yet when I look back on the last 7 1/2 years I amazed at the things I didn't know, but know now. Hence, my witty title. (Admit it, you're all envious with how clever I am on cold meds and antibiotics :))

So, mostly for my own enjoyment I bring you:
THE THINGS I KNOW:
- I know that every stage/phase does end...eventually. But that doesn't make
it any easier to get through it
- I know that all little boys are inexplicably drawn to the toilet and it's bowl
of water until it is time to actually learn to use it.
Case in point: the recent drownings of a balloon, transformer and toy hammer
- I know that klutziness is a gene that is passed on
My proof: Z: Mom, do you notice anything different about my head?
M: umm, why do have a big scrape and red mark there?
Z: Because I ran into a brick wall at school....
M: you are so my child
(there was an accidental trip from another child involved, but still!)
- I know that cursing your own children with picky eaters of their
own is a curse that WILL come true...thanks mom!
- I know that a child can exist quite happily on PB sandwiches,
cheese, crackers and apples (by their choice) with the occasional
chicken nugget and fries thrown in
- I know that a toddlers laugh is something no one can resist!
- I know that laundry and dishes multiply at night behind my back
and that someone sneaks around spreading crumbs on my floor!
- I know that I am constantly amazed at the things my children
learn without me consciously teaching them
For example: R walked outside the other day, took a big sniff
and declared that it smelled "DISGUSTING!"
Umm, excuse me? When did you learn that word?
- I know that toddler boredom is my number one enemy!
How else do you explain the mass destruction that takes
place every day by his hand?!
- I know a hole and toy are irresistible to said toddler...
as my heat ducts would testify to if they could
only talk! (Why do they make these things so easy
to pull out of the floor?!)
- I know that reading to my children every day is great
for them...and love to see the results in Z's reading
and R's comprehension and recognition!
- I know that it's easier to laugh then cry and better
to laugh than yell....but it doesn't always happen that way!
- I know my oldest is great at making friends and am so
thankful for that
- I know I will never fully understand boy logic,
but I'll never stop trying to!
- I know that I shouldn't tell B that I'm going to cut his
fingers off if he touches "that" one more time...R gets a little
worried and asks me not cut any of B's fingers off!
- I know that little boys under the age of 3 are convinced that
water on their head will make them MELT! At least, I think
that's why B has such a fit every Saturday night when I
wash his hair!
- I know that #3 is in a huge hurry to grown up. Things that
are no longer acceptable include: a booster seat with a tray,
a booster seat AT ALL, bibs are occasionally tolerated, shopping carts
are torture devices, and holding mom's hand is soooo last year. He
should be free to run wherever he wants and is quite vocal in his
opinion. Which brings me to my next I know...
- I know that a screaming child strapped into a shopping cart brings
either a: sympathy
b: condemnation
c: unwanted advice
d: a smile, nod and a "I've been there"
from the shoppers around you
- I know that I love my three boys more
than words can express, and in the end,
that's all that counts!

2 comments:

Suz said...

I said Yup to each one. Your last is my favorite. Well said!

Lisha said...

I can't believe you've done 3 posts this month! Well done! And I loved it ... very sage-like :)