Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recent Happenings....

We had originally planned on NOT doing a big dinner for Thanksgiving - we stayed here in Sylvan - and were just going to do something fun on Monday with Robison's - I'll get to that in a minute. Then my oh so lovable hubby batted his eyes at me and said "I'd really like Turkey for Thanksgiving". Now, if you've read my 100th post you might remember "cooking a turkey" as one of the things I listed as wanting to do. After multiple phone calls to both moms, some last minute shopping with the kidlets and some laughs I can proudly say that I cooked a turkey on Sunday. It was a little dry, the drippings were burnt (hazard of leaving bird cooking while attending all 3 hours of church - sigh) so the gravy was gross but otherwise a success. Made great turkey buns and soup as well! While I was washing it out I was a little grosses out - the smell and me prego was a challenge. Zane covered his eyes and said "eww gross. Dad, I can't watch!" Rhett just watched. I also made banana cream pie and we had Pratts over after supper to help us eat them. Oh, so yummy. Actually considering making more this weekend.

Monday we were fairly lazy. Robison's came over and we had a really fun backwards dinner - started with ice cream sundaes and ended with BBQ hamburgers and chips. The kids were in HEAVEN! We let them eat as much ice cream and chips as they wanted. We played games, hung out and enjoyed the time together.


Next excitement came in the form of wearing a holter all day yesterday. Something to record my heart all day long. Oh, and the trip to emerg with Zane that lasted 8 hours. Poor kid has a virus in his digestive track which equalled tummy full of gas and PAIN! They ended up giving the poor kid morphine after trying unsuccessfully to get an IV into him. But, it finally got his pain under control and I was finally able to take him home just after midnight. We've had a couple of long nights around here! Thankfully, he's keeping things down, pain free and happy today.

I'm sure I'm going to remember things that I wanted to post about a little while later....

5 comments:

Tisha said...

You are SO brave cleaning the turkey when you are prego! I make James clean it out even when I'm not! Bravo!

Roeckers said...

I am the laziest cook. I love to cook but low mantainance is my game. I can't be bothered with basting. Next time you attempt to cook a turkey try cooking it upside down. It keeps all the meat in the dippings and very moist. It is OOHHHH so delicious! I did it by accident one year and have done it every year since. A few years ago Martha Stewart even featured the idea (not as mine) in her magazine.

Sorry to hear about Zane and his tummy ache! I hope all is well now!

Preston and Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Preston and Kristin said...

I was totally planning to do a Thanksgiving dinner for Preston, but as the date neared, I forgot all about it. Luckily we have your dinner to read about, so it's almost like we were there.

LindsayB said...

sounds like fun! good for you cooking the turkey too! what a fun idea to the the backwards dinner. and can i say i LOVE your kitchen table and chairs!