Monday, March 12, 2012

Perspective

I have really struggled with wanting and not wanting to write this blog.  Because it's not my story, and yet I have learned so much the past few days I feel that I need to write it - for me and for my children. 

Friday night we learned that our friend Steve Hall was killed in an avalanche while snowmobiling with friends.  Another two brethern in our ward were there but unharmed.  Of course the initial reaction was shock, disbelief and then the crushing realization of what this would mean for my friend Lara.  Let me tell you a bit about this wonderful woman.  She is AMAZING.  She deserves every single one of those capital letters.  Many who read this also know Lara and will be nodding their heads in agreement.  She is genuine, kind, faithful, steadfast, committed, fun, outgoing, life of the party, loving....if you pulled every positive adjective out of a dictionary I guarantee that every one could be applied to this special lady.  I have been blessed to know her in many different capacities over the years and count myself so blessed.  She and Steve have 4 of the cutest and most wonderful children.  I love them all.  And so it has been a struggle of a weekend as I have tried to think of a way to convey my love and support to Lara and her children. 

Our primary presidency asked the children today to draw a picture and write a brief message on small pieces of paper that they are going to assemble into a book for the Hall children.  Knowing the plan I asked the boys on the way home from church what they had done.  (**Side note: Steve and Lara have had a role in their lives as well, most recently as basketball coaches. )  Rhett said he drew hearts and suns and stars, and wrote "From Rhett."  All things that to him convey love.  Zane said he drew a man with light coming out of him and on the back wrote "I hope your days are filled with light like my picture".    I'm not recording this to brag - to say "look at my kid and how awesome this is", but I felt the need to record this as an affirmation for myself and Cliff that the things we are teaching in our home, and the example that we are setting are beginning to show.  And I am so grateful for that.

And for the perspective that I have gained.  Steve's death is tragic. And my heart hurts for his family.  He will be missed by so many.  But I have felt my testimony of the Atonement, and the Plan of Salvation strengthened and enlarged over the past two days.  Being in the Relief Society Presidency has afforded me some wonderful experiences with our RS president and with the women in our ward.  I have SEEN love in action, I have seen the Lord reaching out to bless through the hands of others.  And it has been so faith affirming and touching that I know my testimony has grown.  I've also seen my family through new eyes.  Thought of things that I want to change, and things that I want to appreciate more. 

Sacrament meeting today was so spiritually charged for me today.  I felt that the hymns, the talks, the general spirit there was so sweet.  Yes, we were all aching for our ward family's loss, for Lara and her family.  But we were doing it together.  The Spirit was there and was a comfort as  promised in the scriptures.  And once again I was amazed by the examples of others around me.  I am so thankful to live in the ward we live in.  To be surrounded by the good people we have the privilege of associating with, and drawing on their strength and testimonies.

We are attending the funeral in Cardston on Friday afternoon, and planning on going through the 10:30 Temple session that morning.  Why?  Because as Lara told my mom on Saturday when she attended: "Where else do you go for peace?  This is what we teach our Young Women. ".

Thank you Lara for your wonderful example.  As long as I have known you you have been an example of grace and goodness.  I am blessed to count you as a friend.


Over the course of the weekend I have done some reading and found these two quotes that have made a huge impact on me at this time.  Both I have heard before.  But seeing them visually has been wonderful and insightful and inspiring. 

I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and the perspective it gives to me. 

3 comments:

jackie said...

Well said my dear.

this and that...now and then said...

Such a hard thing, but knowing what we know can get us through- best to you all and Lara and her family.

LindsayB said...

such sad news, breaks my heart. derek knew him, i had only met him a couple of times. my heart aches for them.