Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Summer confessions....

I fell off the good-eating and exercise train. Hard. In fact I still have 10 lbs to show for it. It was one of those one-thing-led-to-another thing. Nothing big or horrible. Just little slips that kept adding up and now here I am a lot further AWAY from my goal than I had planned on being at the end of the summer. So what, may you ask am I doing about it?
Weeelllll, since you asked so nice I'll tell ya.
I joined a gym.
And I'm learning to love it. My stomach clenches a bit every morning when I get there hoping that my favorite tread mill is available (control freak remember), and I literally have to bribe my butt out of bed (5:30 is sooooooooo early) BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the hour I have all to myself. Sweat drips, I listen to some sweet tunes, I don't talk to anyone if I don't want to (except the head nod to friend Dave who gets there before me) and I ignore any and all barbie moms around me. I like that no one (well except Dave but he doesn't count right now) knows who I am, what my story is, or how horribly I failed at my summer goal. And if I'm really lucky, I get home and a blissfully long shower before any little feet are awake. Ahhh. Bliss. And the scale has moved slightly lower....still working on the eating thing.

Today is day #3 of no chocolate. I did this once before earlier in the year and decided to do it again. Pushing for past Halloween this time. Why chocolate you ask? Because if I eliminate that I take out a lot of tempting things. Day 3 is always the hardest. And I didn't time it well...not only do I have chocolate withdrawal today but I am also slightly PMSing. Yeah, not good.

Other summer confessions....I hate a really wet yucky summer. I'm not a huge fan of the extreme heat but I do like nice sunny skies, pleasant temps and lots of good long days to play outside with friends. I don't know what happened to the summer I ordered but it definitely did not come through. We made it to the beach one time people....and we live in Sylvan Lake....3 blocks away from a lake! That's how gross it was. Which may or may not have contributed to confession number one.

I did not enjoy my boys playing with the neighbor's grandson. Even though they would spend time outside with him....I just struggle with him. I try to remember that my kids are being examples to him, and possibly planting gospel seeds that will be remembered later in his life....but there is something that makes me want to grind my teeth every time I see him. I think that might put me on the bad person list.

I read....a lot....and neglected my house...a lot....and maybe let my kids watch a few too many movies. Seriously, I think I read 10 books in about 6 weeks. I recorded them all and when I read them - something I picked up from my friend Rebecca. I really enjoyed all the reading - I don't usually do a lot of it any more because I kinda get sucked into a book and put everything else off and off and off until I finish the book and look up to see the house destroyed and children and husband neglected. So it was guilty indulgence that I allowed myself.

I can't believe that summer is gone and that we are two weeks into school already!

2 comments:

Suz said...

SO proud of you for joining a gym! I did the same thing....hard thing to commit to! Keep going...

Lisha said...

if it makes you feel better, I also did not make my end of summer weight loss goal. I also blame the weather. it's not my fault, right?