My 6 year old is obsessed with Star Wars. Between Lego Star Wars and the 6 movies (he's almost seen all 6 now) he can tell me what the episode is called, what the chapter is called and the run down of the basic story line in that particular setting. It's unnerving. Mostly because I never cared that much about Star Wars before and now my limited knowledge is being tested by a 6 year old with a FANTASTIC memory. After being quizzed for 5 minutes one morning on the ins and outs of a story line I finally sighed and said "Zane, mommy doesn't know as much about Star Wars as you do. I'm a girl and my memory just doesn't remember it as well as yours does". He was SHOCKED! It was actually quite funny. Then the other day he was going to ask me something but said oh, never mind. I asked him what was going on and he said he forgot I wasn't a Star Wars person. Oh, the guilt. But it is still fun to watch and listen to him. He will draw a picture of some scene and then have me spell out the words so he can write down the episode, chapter and story line. We have 2 on the freezer right now waiting for Auntie Lishie. And it is fun to watch him and Rhett play out the scenes (when they're not trying to kill each other). Rhett's always asking Zane to 'pick' him. He wants Zane to assign him a character. Sometimes he's happy with his assignment and sometimes he's not. Zane gets frustrated sometimes because Rhett doesn't always follow the 'rules' of the movie and likes to mix things up - like Chewbacca having a light saber instead of a gun. That's just not done in Zane's world. So we're trying to remind him that it's pretend and anything can happen in pretend and his brother is allowed to make up some of the rules too. But mostly Rhett goes along with what Zane tells him to do and they follow the story line of whatever episode Zane's been puzzling out in his head. I do know the difference between a Force Push and a Force Lightening. Do you?
And the frying pans. Apparently in nursery they have 3 toy frying pans that go with the kitchen and they are the first thing that Rhett goes for every Sunday. He picks them up, tucks one under his arm and carries two in his hand and walks around for the rest of the time with these frying pans. The nursery leaders find this hilarious and keep teasing me about it, wondering what in the world I do with him at home that he's so attached to these frying pans. So Sunday they actually came and got me so I could see this for myself. And sure enough he's wondering around with them. To me, it's perfectly normal. I'm used to him picking up random objects and pretending that they are something completely different and being very attached to them. I told them that he probably has termed them his 'good guys' or his 'ships' and that he just has a great imagination. They still think it's really funny. I think it's great that he can make a toy out of anything.
Life with boys is so different. They play different, they think different, they react differently. But I wouldn't trade them. Even if I do feel like a fish out of water with all the light sabers, guns, swords, and action figures that litter my house these days!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment