Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some stuff....

Just some fun stories and things my kids have done lately that I want to remember...and of course if I want to do that I need to write it down. So if you enjoy it to - great! But there's nothing earth shattering in this blog :)

- Zane has been trying to help Rhett learn to say his words properly. He breaks them up into small parts and gets Rhett to repeat after him then put the whole word together. It's really cute. Last night they were in the tub and Zane was teaching him how to say Cannon Ball. Their game was involving cannon balls for some reason. It just makes me smile to listen to them interact. I'm very blessed that Zane is such a great big brother!

- Rhett is convinced that snow = Christmas. Surprisingly we haven't had a lot of snow yet...but every time we do get a little skiff of snow Rhett just bounces at the window saying "Christmas, Christmas!" Yesterday when we left to go get Zane from school he walked outside and went "oh, no! Christmas!" The snow was melting and his little heart was just broken! He kept saying oh no, oh no for a few minutes before something else distracted him. He is so excited for Christmas. He doesn't really get the whole Santa thing but every time he sees any decorations, trees, lights etc he's very quick to exclaim "Christmas!"

- Zane is LOVING the Magic Tree House books. Mary Pope Osborne is the author and they are about a brother and sister and a magic tree house. They go different places, solve problems, and learn things. They all seem to be 10 chapters and we've been averaging about 3 days per book! It's great that he'll sit there and listen for that long at a time and I really hope that I'm passing on my love of reading to him and Rhett.

- Zane has started "reading" to Rhett. They made a book in school that he had memorized and the 2 of them would sit and Zane would "read" it to him. There's also some fun library books that he knows the general gist of the story and will sit and "read" it to Rhett. It's fun to see him develop this new skill. I hope it becomes a love for him!

- I can't remember if I've blogged about this next one or not and I'm too lazy to go back and see. Rhett has started pretending that he is a kitty or a puppy quite frequently during the day. He does the whiny pant, the licking, the rubbing his head against your leg...the whole bit. The problem is he doesn't know when to stop. So lately I've been telling him he's not a kitty or a puppy, but a Rhett. He agrees that he is a Rhett and usually goes on his merry way. The other night he climbed up on my lap and started in on the kitty thing and we again had the conversation. He agreed that he was Rhett and then reached for my face with his 2 little hands and pulled me in for what I thought was a kiss. Nope. A big 'ole lick right across my mouth! Eww Gross! I was so surprised that I burst out laughing and couldn't stop as I tried to tell him that was gross and not to do it again. Discipline just doesn't come across very good when you're laughing.

And I forgot, I wanted to ask everyone a favor! This pregnancy is clipping along and we're having quite the time coming up with a final name list. Normally we're able to narrow it down to 2 quite easily. Right now we have 8....and I like them all...I'm just not sure that we've got the RIGHT one on the list. So, I was wondering if you would send me some ideas? We're looking for something that is one syllable like Zane and Rhett, and something that's not too common but not completely out there. His middle name is going to be Dooley for my Grandpa and for my dad - my kids know my dad as Grandpa Dooley and everyone knew my Grandpa as Dooley even though that wasn't his actual name. (And if you're family reading this I am aware that Jeff and Kathy's Tyson is Tyson Dooley...but we're using it again anyways). The other 2 boys have Johnson family names for middle names and this one is getting a Robinson middle name. So that's my favor. If you have any great names and would like to share them please feel free. Thanks!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Hannah loves the Magic Tree House books too. She would read the whole thing in 2 sittings, but Lindsay has my attention span and wants to move onto the next thing. (Plus 5 chapters is hard on my throat!)

How about Diezel Blaze for the name? (Of course I am kidding. I still can't believe that someone actually used that though!)

shauna said...

How about Cort Dooley Johnson? My friend's son is named Cort and it is definitely not a popular name but it is a cute name!

KellyLady said...

I LOVE Cort as a name and it actually has family significance as well BUT Cliff already vetoed that one when I suggested it. Thanks for trying! Maybe I should just name him Bubba

shauna said...

Veto him during labor...that's my trick. Since I am the one pushing out the baby, my vote trumps EVERYTHING! Cort will grow on him!