Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Catch up!

The Sunday after Alisha and Jay's wedding we were in Barnwell hanging out with Cliff's family. His mom deep-fried a turkey and it was the best turkey I've ever had. It was so moist and yummy. I was really surprised how much I liked it because usually when I'm pregnant I can't eat real turkey - just doesn't stay down. Anyways, we took family pics in the afternoon and the reason Rhett's not in them is because he was having a nap and Rikki had to leave for work. We took some later of just him and Grandma and Grandpa - he was not impressed so we didn't attempt anything else. Zane and Uncle Jamie jumped on the trampoline and added water for lots of fun. They stayed out there for 2 hours! Early that evening Cliff headed home to Sylvan and we headed back to Raymond for the next week and a bit.
We spent the week doing lots of fun things: library, flying kites, park, sand box, hearing Great Grandpa Knibb play his accordion (Zane really liked it but it was a lot louder than he thought it would be. For me it brought back good memories of being really little and hearing Grandpa play music in their basement. It didn't happen very often that I remember so it was always a real treat) We did some shopping - maternity clothes for me, jeans for kindergarten, and of course the dollar store. Great Grandpa gave the kids some money to roll (ended up being $40) and I let them each spend $10 at the dollar store. They had a blast picking out whatever they wanted and we got back to Grammie's with lots of fun new stuff. We got to see lots of friends and family and always seemed to be on the go! In fact I took my quilting with me and didn't touch it once! Very unusual for us...but by the end of the day all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and do nothing.
Saturday we headed for Taber to attend a Peterson family reunion. My Grandma Knibb(mom's mom) was a Peterson before marrying. I haven't seen her side of the family since I was a little girl - grandma died when I was 11 and I'm sure it was a couple of years before that. Anyways, it was being held at the Legion park just out of town and there was some very old playground stuff there...including one of those 8 foot slides that have a ladder going straight up and down. Rhett was in love with the slide and went up and down about 25 times with no problems. There was a cousin playing with him and Rhett and Rhett was getting a little excited - we think that's why he lost his balance at the top of the slide and fell...all the way to the bottom! Mom, Kinsey and I were sitting a ways away at a picnic table and as soon as we saw him topple all 3 of us were up and running. I beat them there and Kinsey later told me she couldn't believe I moved that fast. I told her fear makes a mom move extra fast. When we got to him his eyes were open, not focused and he wasn't breathing. I grabbed him and ran back to the table to get a better look at him. He finally started breathing but then he passed out. I was up and heading for the vehicles immediately and screaming for Kinsey to get her keys. I admit I was a little hysterical at the moment but I was already having a bad hormone day and I knew that there was something wrong. A well meaning relate tried to convince us that he would be fine and that we didn't need to go but I just ignored her and we left. Got to the hospital, got him checked out, confirmed a concussion but no broken bones, had the doctor look right at me and ask me if anyone had been watching him - I was too upset to really pay any attention to his tone at the time but later I was pretty ticked. He would have fallen had I been where I was, at the bottom of the stairs or in the van for some reason. Anyways, he was planning on keeping him over night in Taber but agreed to let us go to Raymond since that's where we were staying. Kinsey drove me and Rhett to Raymond while mom brought Zane after getting some things arranged at the reunion. Once we got to Raymond we were admitted and a doctor that I don't know (must have been on rotation or something) came and looked at him. He wanted to talk to the peds doc in Lethbridge because when a child is under 2 and gets a concussion they automatically do a cat scan. Rhett is barely over 2 so he was concerned. After talking to the peds doc we were off to Lethbridge for a CT scan. But first our good family friend Randy Baker came and gave Rhett a blessing. Cliff was at home, Dad on his way home, and all our other priesthood family members were on holidays. Anyways, it was a wonderful blessing and we felt really calm as mom and I headed to Lethbridge with Rhett. Zane went home with Randy because we didn't know how long it would take and Kinsey had other obligations she had to be at. The drive in Rhett was very alert and pointing out trains, trucks, asking for Zane etc. We got to the hospital, got in right away and it wasn't long before we saw the doctor. We had to get him sedated in order to get the CT done and it ended up taking 2 rounds. That was our longest wait - him to go to sleep. Once asleep it didn't take very long and 10 minutes later we knew that his brain was fine. We had to wait until he woke up and had something to drink before heading home. We did see my cousin Wes there - he's an ER nurse and came on shift before we left. He became Rhett's friend because he cut off the hospital bracelets on his legs - he was not a fan of those! It still makes me scared when I think of how much worse it could have been and I am convinced that there were a couple of angels on the ground under him when he hit. To only have a bruise on his head is a miracle and we were very blessed. I am so thankful for the mindfulness of our Heavenly Father and for the power of the priesthood. Sunday he was back to normal. A little grouchy but fine otherwise.
Monday we went to Waterton with Grammie and Grandpa Dooley, and Auntie Kizzy and her boyfriend Danny. We had a picnic up at Cameron Lake and Zane went in with Auntie and Danny. Rhett wanted nothing to do with the water and was more than content to throw rocks into the lake. Really he was in paradise. The kid thinks all rocks belong in a puddle - doesn't matter what size the puddle is. Kizzy and Danny went and climbed Bears hump - we did the "hike" at Cameron falls. The boys were thrilled and I was tired. Threw more rocks into the lake, went to the candy store and the ice cream store - yum yum yum and headed home. It was fun to go - I haven't been in 8 years! And the kids had a great day with everyone. Tuesday was spent winding stuff up and getting ready to come home. We had a wonderful time but were glad to come home and see daddy again!
And now that I'm home it doesn't feel like I've stopped moving! Wednesday night we went to softball, Thursday I took Zane to the doctor because he's been having weird stomach aches for 3 weeks, and the stethoscope cured him. Love it when that happens! We have a great doc who decided to do some x-rays and stuff just to make sure nothing was blocked so Friday we headed into Red Deer after Cliff went golfing to get those done and do a Costco run. Then Cliff decided we should got out for supper. Saturday I spent most of the day quilting and then that night Cliff and I went out with friends for the UFC fight night. We had lots of fun but it was late night.
Sunday was a good day at church and then we headed to Eckville for Leslie's birthday. Lots of yummy food and good company made for a great time!
Yesterday I had my first prenatal visit. There's a lot more paperwork this time around - or so it seems. But I checked out as healthy and I heard the baby's heartbeat. 170! That a lot faster than the boys ever were - I'm crossing my fingers this one is pink so here's hoping. It feels more real to me now that I've heard the heartbeat. I've been really gaggie this time - not puking - but gag a lot and I already look like I'm way further a long - nothing new there, and of course the hormones and the pinched sciatic and all the fun stuff but hearing that heartbeat made me go yep, there's a baby there and she? is going to make an appearance in February! Wow. We are so blessed. We didn't think we'd get pregnant again so fast after our last miscarriage because it took us so long after the first time. But we couldn't be happier!
Today I have baked like a marathon baker! 3 batches of muffins, a batch of buns, 2 dozen cinnamon buns, and I experimented with pizza buns. My first batch leaked all over my pan but I did better the second time around. Hopefully they taste good! I'm hoping to finish up a baby quilt by tomorrow night and then relax!
We're glad to be home and we missed everyone here and of course we already miss the ones we left in southern Alberta! (Sorry it was so long winded!)

No comments: