Sunday, May 25, 2008

Some things are wonderful....

Thursday afternoon Rhett was having a nap, I was doing laundry and other chores around the house and Zane was having quiet time with a movie....or so I thought. The conversation started like this: Mommy I'm sorry. Sorry for what? For this - as he holds his hands out that are COVERED in gum. He was trying to make spider webs like spider man with the gum that he had been chewing. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. I know how to get gum out of carpet and hair - ice or peanut butter...but what's the best way to get it off a kids hands? It took me almost 20 minutes of lukewarm water and soap and rubbing and pulling gum off his hands to get it all off. He complained a couple of times but I told him when we started it wasn't going to be fun and it was consequences for what he had done. The little yahoo! I told him he doesn't get gum again until I decide he can have it.
But then there are nights like tonight when he wraps his arms around my neck and pulls me down for a hug and whispers in my ear " I love you 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 100" and the spirit whispers to me that this is a moment to lock away in my memory and hold tight to because he's going to be big and grown before I know it and won't be so willing to show his affection. Being a mom is wonderful!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute stories! I love the "50 50 50 100" thing. That is so sweet! Treasure the moments...because then they get close to 6 and you want to wring their necks...uh...I mean...nevermind!

Tisha said...

Hmmm, I seem to remember hearing about the gum thing? I was trying so hard not to laugh as I hung up and all I could think was, "someday, that'll be me!" Oh dear!

Just Rhonda said...

oh man the gum!!!! Trouble!! Isn't it good that kids give us those sweet moments that balance out the moments when we want to scream!