Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Light bulb moments...

Do you ever have those moments when something that is so familiar to you that you could recite it, sing it or do it without even thinking of it suddenly seems so different? But in a good way? Like it's taught you something and it seems so obvious that you wonder how in the world you ever missed it?
I sing I Am A Child of God every night to the boys...all four verses. And lately I have felt the spirit gently teaching me as I have paid more attention to the lyrics I am singing and not just singing words for the boys to hear. So here is my thought process...
There are four verses and to me they build on each other like stepping stones....verse one talks of being a child of God, and being sent to earth to our parents. This is essential information but very basic. Verse two acknowledges being a child of God but now recognizes that there is a need to learn more of Him and that there is a limited time in which we have to do this. Verse three again acknowledges being a child of God and now has the understanding that we are blessed with so many rich things from our loving Heavenly Father and that we have a part in receiving those wonderful blessings. Verse four is my favorite.
I am a child of God
His promises are sure
If I but learn to do His will
I'll live with Him once more
To me this is the culmination of the whole song and why we are here on this earth. We have reached a point of understanding and trust in our Father in Heaven in this verse and understand that He has promised us so many wonderful things...not just promises but sure promises that will be realized if we do our part. What could be more wonderful than returning to our Heavenly Father's presence?
I am so grateful for music and for the things that it can teach us when we allow our spiritual ears to hear and our hearts to feel. I truly believe that music is a gift from our Father that we can all enjoy whether we have musical talent or not. I pray that I can teach my children to feel the spirit through music and that it will be a blessing in their lives as it has been in mine.

No comments: