Friday, April 11, 2008

Again...I Know

Yes, I know...I don't blog for days and now I'm here again writing away and you're probably sick of me. But for some reason I'm in the mood to write and since it's my blog and my thoughts....well you get the picture.
Rhett is almsot 2 and does not sleep through the night. I know that this is partly my fault....his latest thing is wanting to sleep with us. And I'll admit that for awhile I let him...until he started crawling into bed with us by 1:30 in the morning and tried to take over the entire bed. Just when I thought I was going to go beserk (yes, it's a word) and spent a night of pure Hell (yes, that's right - screaming for hours on end because I wouldn't let him in our bed) we hit upon a novel solution:

We put the boys in seperate rooms and put Rhett in the loft bed. We had originally planned on using our folded out futon as a bedframe so to speak and just put Rhett's mattress on top just temporarily....but Zane saw what I had done and HAD to have this bed. I quickly did a mental check on how this would figure in to my GET-RHETT-TO-SLEEP-IN-HIS-OWN-BED-AND-THROUGH-THE-NIGHT plan and decided it worked great. And here's why: The loft bed that Rhett now occupies is like a mini bunk bed without the bottom bunk and not quite all the height - great for storing toys under - and it has built in rail all the way around the mattress. Rhett CAN go up and down the ladder by himself but absolutely refuses to get out of this bed unless I am there. Light bulb moment! Rhett has spent the last 2 nights in his own bed...and we're working on the waking up thing. The first night he woke up every hour after midnight...and last night it was every 2 hours after 1:30...so I'm hoping tonight he keeps up the trend and lasts longer before waking up and then goes back to sleep for a longer period of time.

And hopefully the next time we have a child I will have figured out some things a little better and won't be as desperate for sleep as I was with Rhett. Yes, his bad habits stem from mostly me but I would like to defend myself and say that they all came from doing what I could do to gain the most sleep. I think in his entire lifetime my child has slept soundly through the night maybe 5 times...sleep deprivation makes you do funny things!

So judge me if you will, roll your eyes and swear up and down that your children will never be like mine, but if you could please say a prayer that he starts to sleep through the night because I think we have suffered long enough. And his daddy is in Brooks tonight at a basket ball tournament so I'm going this solo tonight.

As a side note we had soooo much fun at the park today. The weather was gorgeous, lots of fun kids to play with and a wonderful mom for me to chat to. We've never met before and ended up chatting for a good hour and a half today.

And some random pictures....I know I've been slacking on adding them. I meant to add some yesterday, I really did!

5 comments:

whitney said...

Roman just all the sudden got a point where sleeping got better. I don't know that I really did anything all that earth shattering. But our problem was getting up to early, not sleeping through the night. You got it rough! The time change actually helped us a lot! He is still in the crib though, don't know what will happen when we move to a big bed. But if it doesn't work I will get a crib from my mom and have 2 kids in cribs!
Your mom was asking me and my mom awhile ago about making a circle quilt, would you mind directing here to my blog tutorial about it in case she wants a little instruction?

Suz said...

Cam has never slept through the night either. We are just passed year one. I hope we don't have to make it to year 2 before he sleeps! I understand the do whatever it takes to make them sleep thing. Moms are so sleep deprived and sometimes make decisions that aren't the best. I know...that's me too! But I really believe survival mode kicks in and you do what you have to. Keep going...you are inspiring!!!

Shauna said...

How is the loft bed going? ingenious to put him in a bed he won't climb out of alone.

I can commiserate with you also. I am so sleep deprived that I can't even fall asleep anymore because the disappointment of getting up again immediately is too great. My body just lays there awake agonizing over which child is going to get me out of bed first and for how long. I hope it gets better for you quickly.

DeAnna said...

I think being sleep deprived is completely not a just a mom of a newborn thing. Triston turns 3 next month and only within the last 6 months has he actually slept all night. And by all night I mean 9 pm until 6 am or later. He loves to get up early and watch his cartoons. With him sleeping all night it has helped Brandi, who is only 18 months, to sleep. She has stopped getting up for a bottle and will now sleep from 9 pm until 9 am. So sweet!! It is great to hear that I am not the only Mom fighting the sleepless battle!! All that helped me was consistency, same bedtime routine, same bedtime and same wake-up time. Hope your nights go better!

LindsayB said...

oh i'll never judge you for the kids not sleeping. i'm still pulling my hair out trying anything for james. i feel like i did things similar with my 2 and alli was pretty good at sleeping by 4 months and james makes me a zombie most days. every kid just has their own personality from the start. i hope your week went good in that department. i liked your last post, i'm totally need to do that.