Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Titles

I heard something last night that made me think about all the different titles that I hold or that I am known by. Here are a few:
Wife
Mother (and all the "titles" that come with it - doctor, chaufeur, chef, handy man, etc)
Eternal Companion
Sister Johnson
Mrs. Johnson
sister
daughter
choir pianist
rotational organist
relief society pianist
friend
visiting teacher
I was really amazed at all the different titles that are associated with me - and I'm sure I could come up with a few more. Last night as I was watching the Biggest Loser the contestants had a doctor come and talk to them. This doctor had himself been a contestant many seasons ago and has successfully kept off the weight he lost. This is the part that struck me : He told them that the hardest part in this journey was to maintain the weight loss and new habits that they have been learning. He told them that they were all on their way to being OBESITY SURVIVORS, but that getting to that final goal weight did not mean the fight was over. In order to stay healthy and be a "survivor" they were going to have to employ every piece of knowledge that they had gained and put it into action every day for the rest of their lives. This hit me hard. But it is true. Every day I have to fight to make healthy choices, to choose to eat less, eat better, exercise harder and push myself to stay healthy. It is so much easier to sit on the couch and do nothing than it is to lace up my shoes, pop in a DVD or go for a run. It's a lot easier to order pizza every weekend and eat more than my share than it is to plan a menu and stick to it. These things are all easier...BUT choosing to eat less, to exercise harder, to plan food menus in advance are worth it. My health is worth it, my family is worth it and this morning when I looked in the mirror I reminded myself that I am an Obesity Survivor, and I intend to stay one.

1 comment:

Roeckers said...

Good for you Kelly. I watched the same episode, and thought so true...

CHEERS to you! You can do it! You are an inspiration.