This line was a little funny to me a couple of weeks ago when I was reading a blog from a parenting site. The woman's point was that with her first baby she always had the guilty thought of 'playing' the part of mommy but not actually fitting the concept and position. Now, almost a year after her second child she described a night that a lot of us have had - wrenched from a dead sleep by the sound of a child puking. What once would have thrown the whole night turned into what she describes as 'clean pajamas, sheets and pillows flowing from her arms and a kiss and reasurrance allowing her daughter to go right back to sleep. She started the laundry on the way back to bed and slept the rest of the night instead of staying awake listening for awful gagging noises.' She said it was at this time that she realized that she had actually acheived 'mom' status. And yes, I do have a point. Although I don't think I've ever felt like I was faking it, this story quickly came to mind in the middle of last night when we discovered that Rhett had a fairly high temperature. Instead of rushing to the hospital which would have been my first reaction a few years ago, I called Cliff, he gave Rhett a blessing, we gave him some tylenol, and after some cuddles I tucked him back in bed. I definitely felt like a seasoned mom as I crawled into bed and went back to sleep. His fever seems to have broken now and we're pretty sure he's just cutting molars.
I've had a lot of thoughts running through my head today - how quickly my kids are growing, how blessed we are to be where we are, and how much I miss being close to our families. Mostly though, I'm just happy to be with my family and to have my precious boys and husband. Some new pics of my boys - Zane was a little miffed that I didn't have any of just him so I made sure to take some today. What a kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment