Monday, January 22, 2007

New steps




Well the past couple of days have been ones with a few baby steps and a few big steps in our family.
A big step was finally getting a leather sectional couch for our living room. It's great - even if it's a little big. We actually have to keep it seperated right now but we've got tons of seating now and it's soooo much easier to keep clean. (Very important with my hooligans) It came with the matching (huge) ottoman included and Rhett's new favorite thing to do is to stand on it with his little hands on our big window to see outside. All he can see is snow, snow, and more snow but occasionally a bird or a squirrel moves and he thinks that that is fantastic.
Rhett has also started going to sleep again without me holding him or a bottle - a habit that we got into before Christmas when he was so sick and it carried through. I think we are also getting close to seeing the end of his soother. He's only getting it to go to sleep with now and it seems not to bother him at all not to have it during the day.

Zane learned how to use a glue stick all by himself today and was thrilled to make some fabulous art to send to Grandma and Grandpa - he hasn't specified which grandparents yet but I suspect that I will be able to persuade him to do at least one more masterpiece so each set can have some new art. Between his felts, scissors and now glue he occupies himself for the better part of an hour sometimes.

The biggest step would be Rhett taking his first steps. Yep, that's right. 8 1/2 months old and he took three steps to me today and one more later on. He is determined to keep up with Zane and nothing is going to stop him - except maybe gravity. After the first 3 steps he was just thrilled with himself and didn't want to sit down for the rest of the day. He was either running me over in the walker (a newly acquired skill as well) or talking to me from one of the couches. He also knows exactly what it means when we strip him down and he hears water running. Cliff poured his bath tonight while I got him naked. Then I told him to head for the bath and he took off like there was someone after him. He had made it to the bathroom before I caught up. Silly boy. But he sure loves those baths.

It never ceases to amaze me the rate at which my boys progress to some new skill or understanding. I only wish that I could say the same for myself in some of my trials as I struggle to learn the lesson that our Father wishes me to learn. I read a few blogs that had suggested a single word could make a huge impact in your life in one year if you pondered and acted upon it. I thought a lot about this concept and decided that SHINE would be my word for the year. I loved the number of definitions it has - to shed light on, to polsih, to bring light to etc. All these things are what I hope to do in my life this year. I hope that I can bring light to my family, that I will learn how to polish the areas in my life that need polishing, and that anyone will be able to look at me and think that I bring light and joy wherever I am. Lofty goals? Absolutely - but if we don't reach and strectch in our quest for improvement we won't go very far.

No comments: