Monday, November 26, 2007

Exhaustion

I am exhausted...emotionally and physically. And it is for the same reason that it usually is. Rhett detests sleeping. I am convinced that he hates the mere thought of sleep. Every nap is a struggle, every night is a struggle. He screamed for 15 minutes this afternoon before going to sleep, slept for 1/2 an hour, and woke up screaming mad. He screamed for 45 minutes before he calmed down. During this tirade I feel absolutely powerless. I can't get close to him - his body language is so conflicting - pick me up, put me down, I want my blanket, I don't want my blanket...and did I mention that I was trying to teach piano at the time? The whole thing started again when it was bedtime. He screamed for 20 minutes before he would let me cuddle him and then he immediately fell asleep. He's exhausted too. The past 3 or 4 nights he's woken up 3 to 4 times and each night he's been awake for at least an hour in the middle of the night. Most times he's waking up in a tantrum. I am out of ideas.
I know that this is disjointed and it sounds quite depressing....but right now this is what my brain and body feels like and I have to put it down somewhere. I know that years down the road I will read this again and remember how I felt and then I will remember what I did that made it better. Sigh. I wish I could see into the future so I would know what brilliant thing I came up with to make this better.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

If my magic wand wasn't in the shop.....

Tisha said...

Hey Beauty! I completely understand! Thats how TJ has been the past week. It must be a bug thats going around! I wish I had better advice for you, but so far the only thing I've found to help keep my sanity it to hold him when he falls asleep. He seems to sleep longer. I've been using a sling to carry him around, so I can still accomplish things. I know Rhetts bigger than TJ, but you can get a cuddlewrap or something like that for older kids! Hope it gets better soon! Luv!

Shauna said...

I have no ideas...I can only commiserate with you! I have been up all night lately too. Rafe is just not sleeping well unless I nurse him for an hour at a time...I fall asleep...my arm falls asleep and tingles like crazy...I wake up...I lay him down...he wakes up and screams til I nurse him again...I fall asleep...it is a vicious cycle. I can give you hope since Paige eventually outgrew it and is now sleeping well through the night. I just keep hoping the same thing happens for her brother. Keep on keeping on...I hope it gets better soon!

LindsayB said...

I feel for you Kelly. I have pretty much been a zombie since James was born. Sometimes with these kids nothing works and you just have to live in survival mode. It's sooo hard sometimes and sleep is the only thing you think about, am I right? But you seem to be staying as positive as possible, it can't stay like that forever right?! I'll be thinking of you at 2, 3 and 4 in the morning...

LindsayB said...

also, i wish i still fit in my wedding dress! i probably will never even try that!

whitney said...

Roman sleeps for half an hour, wakes up and then goes back to sleep in my arms. I get a lot of movie watching done during his naps. Not a lot of house work happening around here. We did the bed time routine and cry it out thing in September. 2 hours the first night, then 1 hour, 1/2 hour and by the end of the week he finally learned. But of course there are those random nights where nothing works. But by 3 or 4 in the morning he is in bed with us every night. I have decided it is a battle that can't be won.
Good luck.
Talk to Cathy (Kawade) I guess Bryce has been soooo bad with sleep too. Maybe she has some suggestions.

KellyLady said...

Thanks all for your support...suggestions...and generally letting me know that it's not just me and my kids! Mom got a new idea from some ladies who have done this and are still doing this...they said they let the problem sleeper sleep with an older sib and that solved everyone's prob. Tried to convince the boys of that tonight...nothting doing. Zane was not going to sleep on the lower bunk (too scarry he said) and Rhett was ticked that Zane would lay on his bed. Sigh. Back to square one!